Google AdWords Policy Center
The Upcoming Google AdWords Policy Center
The upcoming Google AdWords Policy Center is a center that is going to go live in September. However, there are a number of different policies that can be perused. Because they will not yet go into affect, they are subject to change by the time September rolls around. These policies will continue to be updated, but right now they consist of these:
Google will not allow AdWords to be used to promote any products that are considered to be copies of originals, or counterfeits. The exact definition of a counterfeit good that Google is currently using is an item that has the logo or trademark of a brand name company but is not actually made by the company itself. The goal of a counterfeit good is to make it seem as though it is the original.
Products or Services that Could be Dangerous to the Public
Another thing that is not allowed are products and services that could be considered to be dangerous to the general public. For example, recreational drugs, weapons and ammunition, any type of explosive, or instructions for making weapons or explosives will not be permitted.
Any content that includes hatred towards a person or group on the basis or religion, gender, sexuality, or political beliefs will not be tolerated, along with any content that is deliberately created to cause a viewer to be disgusted. Finally, content that is determined to exploit another person or group by capitalizing on their weaknesses will be prohibited.
Abusing the Network of Ads
Because the goal of AdWords is to make sure that the ads that are displayed are useful and relevant to the customer, Google does not allow any ads that are designed to hurt another person or computer or promote sites for the sheer gain of traffic increases. Google also does not allow anyone to try to get an unfair advantage of the ad auction system or try to avoid being reviewed by Google.
Irresponsible Data Collection and Use
Google wants anyone that uses their services to feel safe giving over personal data in order to have more relevant content that is displayed. It will not allow companies to collect data for seemingly no reason or store it in a manner that is not safe.
Misrepresentation of Self or Products
Google does not allow companies or individuals to lie to its users about themselves or the products and services that they sell.
This content will only be shown on a limited basis. It includes:
- Content for Adults Only: any content such as adult services, international bride services, adult videos, or adult novels will only be displayed on a limited basis.
- Alcoholic Beverages: any ad campaigns that target anyone lower than the drinking age, portrays binge drinking positively, or implies that alcohol is good for the body cannot be shown.
- Copyrighted Content: content cannot be shown unless the publisher owns the copyright.
- Content Related to Gambling: if content that is related to gambling shows it in an excessively positive light or targets minors, it will not be shown.
- Healthcare Related Content: any content that is masquerading as a doctor or provides certain health advice will be restricted in certain areas.
- Political Content: any political content shown by Google will have to be in compliance with the laws of the country in which it is being shown.
- Trademarks: similar to copyrighted content, trademarks cannot be shown by publishers who do not own the copyright.
Editorial and Technical Requirements
Google only allows advertisements that are extremely clear and easy to understand for sites that will work. Gimmicky advertisements will not be allowed. Ads will only be allowed if they meet the technical requirements that are clearly set by Google as well.
Check back here frequently in order to find out more about these policies and to see if they change.